Public patrons may apply for a Special ID library card which will enable them to borrow circulating materials from the Gallucci-Cirio Library - patrons must be 18 years old and present a picture ID showing their address. The Special ID Library Card fee is $15/6 months and $30/1 year. A discounted fee is offered if you meet one of the following criteria:
- Alumni with an FSU alumni card - no application fee
- Fitchburg residents with proof of Fitchburg address - $10/6 months and $20/1 year
- Students and Faculty from MA. State Colleges & Universities - No application fee if you present a valid MA. State College I.D. and proof of current semester enrollment at time of application.
- Faculty or students from a participating Academic Research Collaborative (ARC) library - No application fee if you present a valid ARC card issued by your home library.
- Books circulate for 4 weeks
- Audio CDs circulate for 4 weeks
- DVDs circulate for 2 weeks.
- Journals, magazines, newspapers, and reference materials are in-library-use only
A Maximum of 20 items may be checked out on a Special ID account at any time.
Damaged and Lost Fees:
- Media Collections (CDs & DVDs) – Replacement Cost (Default is $20 per item if no longer available)
- Children's /Young Adult Literature – Replacement Cost (Default is $20 per item if not in print)
- General Book Collections – Replacement Cost (Default is $40 per item if not in print)
- Special IDs cannot be used to borrow items at other libraries.
- We don't provide interlibrary loan services for Special ID patrons; community users need to go through their public library or home institution for this service.
- Special IDs cannot be used to reserve study rooms.
- Use of the open area computers for guest access is available. Guests are required to sign in at the Research Help Desk and the Librarian will log the guest into a computer based on availability.
- Community patrons must be 16 or older to use the computers.
- Reservations for computers cannot be taken.
- There is restricted availability based around our student needs as follows:
- During the spring and fall academic semesters, community patrons are allowed one logon per day, up to a maximum time period of one hour between the hours of 4pm and 8:30pm, Monday-Friday, Saturdays from 12-5pm and Sundays from 1-8:30pm when the Reference Desk is staffed.
- Community patrons are restricted to one logon per day, up to a maximum time period of two hours.
- Public use of the Library’s computers will not be available during final exams or during times when emergencies, such as a snow day, have been declared and the library is managed by essential personnel.
- Fitchburg State students, faculty and staff will always have priority for the library’s computers and equipment; community patrons will be required to give up their computers if there are students, faculty or staff waiting.
Public patrons may use the Ricoh copier/printer, but must purchase a Fitchburg State Guest One Card and place money on it to make copies.
Wi-Fi guest access is only available on the 1st floor of the Library.
Note: Computers in the Instruction Lab are not available for guest use.
Public patrons are welcome to use the library databases, but database access is limited to on-campus-use only due to license restrictions from the database providers. Public patrons must use guest logons, which can be requested at the reference desk when computers are available for public use.
Reference Librarians are happy to assist Fitchburg Public patrons with reference inquiries and collections, but cannot assist with quizzes, games, etc.
Requests for space usage will need to comply with University policies and be coordinated with the Event Management Office at 978-665-3118.